the diary of my pursuit of motherhood-ness

Monday, November 21, 2005

Always be prepared

That's my motto. Should have been a girl scout apparently. So, the instant we started trying I had a list of things to get to.
I had to go out and buy pre-natal vitamins, very important to start those even before you are pregnant.
I had a doctor's appointment today and so I told him I wouldn't be renewing my birth control pills because we were starting to try to get pregnant. He advised me of typical ovulation timing, but other than that he didn't have as much advice as I thought he might, not even as much as I'd already read on the internet.
He did however tell me that at my current weight I should only gain 20 lbs in my pregnancy. My sister had gained 40 lbs in her pregnancy and she had started off very skinny, like almost 100 lbs skinnier than me, so I got worried I wouldn't be able to stay in the 20 lb limit to keep my pregnancy healthy.
I struggled with my weight for so long, never finding anything that really worked to keep the weight off, and it was something I was almost tired of. But this hit home, I now couldn't just think of myself when considering my health and my weight. I knew a few people at work who were going to Herbal Magic, and it was working for them, but I didn't want to resort to pills, thinking that couldn't be very healthy for pregnancy either. I did hear good things about cutting out sugar and excessive carbs, so I worked at reducing those in my diet, as well as trying to find ways to be more active.
I also wanted to be prepared for noticing changes in myself, so I could maybe detect ovulation or pregnancy, as well as document the journey so I started writing everything that had happened so far into a pregnancy journal, and of course kept it up with writing changes in my temperature (to check if I was ovulating), and keeping a calendar of my cycle and intercourse. I was determined to do everything I could, that was in my power. I was SO prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment