the diary of my pursuit of motherhood-ness

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Infertility is not...

I hate it when people ask what options we are exploring for fertility/children, and when I say none I get The look.

The look that says, 'but if you want a child so badly why aren't you doing anything about it, there are so many options right at your fingertips!'

That look.

It's like they are saying, 'you are starving and there are 7 different meals within arms reach.'

Infertility is not starvation for one thing. It's a VERY strong craving.

And it's a different kind of craving for everyone.  And they may think there are several options available to satisfy that craving, but lets say I'm craving a chocolate chip cookie, then oreos, vanilla wafers and oatmeal raisen cookies are not going to cut it, never mind the muffins and cake they also think is an option. 

Some people are just craving sweets, any of those options will make them happy.  Some people are just craving any kind of cookie, most of the options will make them happy.  I only want chocolate chip cookies.

That doesn't make my craving any less real or strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment