the diary of my pursuit of motherhood-ness

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Patient Safety

I have been an active patient for the last 10 years due to baby-making and infertility, have seen 3 different doctors, gone to 6 different facilities involved with testing, multiple nurses, technicians, pharmacists, etc., and while my physical health has not been harmed, I feel like I have sometimes been dealt with in a careless manner by my healthcare system. I was in a very vulnerable position, as are all patients dealing with a medical problem, and when extra care was needed I hardly got any at all, fixing my physical 'problem' was the main concern, emotional and mental care were hardly a consideration, and neither was the fact that I may want to participate, have questions, make decisions, yada yaya.

That is why I am really excited by the mission of my new employer, Manitoba Institute for Patient Safety! We are committed to helping improve patient safety within the system, AND also empower patients to be engaged in their own healthcare. We have a lot of resources that can help you with self-advocacy, providing information about; your rights, how to ask questions, how to be informed, how to take part in decision-making, and more.  All of which I could have really used when dealing with multiple doctors, facilities, etc.

If you, or someone you love, have felt frustrated as a patient, whether related to fertility or not, or you just want to proactively be informed, a great place to start is www.safetoask.ca!
‪#‎safetoask‬ ‪#‎patientsafety‬ ‪#‎healthCARE‬

No comments:

Post a Comment