the diary of my pursuit of motherhood-ness

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fertile Friendships

In my wrestling with the labels I'm trying to get comfortable with (i.e. infertile, child-free) I decided to seek out some support and have started searching the interweb for people like me. Not that 99% of my real-life relationships haven't been supportive and encouraging and a blessing, but there's just this small barrier of 'not understanding'. I seem to need a LOT of understanding right now.

It's knowing as much what to say as what not to say, and when, and most importantly, why. It's needing to know I'm not alone. Even sharing this common thread with just one person in real life would be so nice right now, but since I don't wish 'involuntary child-free living' on anyone, I have to look somewhere, and so I turned to the blogging community. And there they are, in abundance. My side bar is now home to places I can go when I'm ridiculous, and irate, and hopeless, and hopeful.

That being said, I've realized opening myself up on this topic on the interweb doesn't come without a price. In my searching today I found some posts about the negative reaction society can have towards the child-free, even so-called friends. Thank goodness I have not come across such heartless inconsideration for my experience, but who knows if things will stay that way now that I'm more visibly joining this particular World-Wide Web community. Considering my sensitivity has it's cycles, pray that I can have a thick skin should I encounter any such feedback. Overall, I feel being part of this community will be much more fertile ground for healing than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment