the diary of my pursuit of motherhood-ness

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Mother's & Father's Day

So, my Mother's day this year was actually not emotional at all. No jealousy from facebook statuses. No left-outness at Church, where they did a shout out to the childless who can still "mentor-mother" (even if they did use a spinster as an example). No over exposure to cute kids smothering their mothers with love. Much better than last year.

Father's day, not quite so good. First the well meaning wishes from a 5 year old, my neice while handing out the first servings of cakes to fathers accidently wished my husband a happy father's day. my sister apologized after, but hubby didn't even really give it a second thought, knowing she was just repeating a greeting that she couldn't understand the deeper conitations of, but he was more impressed my sister apologized.This is the sister who said this and this. She's made great strides.
The actual hurtful part came 2 minutes later when my dad wished him a happy father's day while laughing. I know my dad is not tactful, pretty blunt about things that aren't his business, lacks a little consideration for people's sensitive subjects, but this surprised me. 
My dad SHOULD know there is nothing pleasant about Father's day for my hubby. My dad SHOULD know how hard it is to celebrate a day that celebrates what you are trying to be and can't. My dad himself went through 5 years of trying to be a father with no success. Even before 5 years ago my husband never liked Father's day, having had no father in his life since he was 5, and actually losing his father to cancer with no reconciliation 6 years ago. My dad SHOULD know how painful hubby's experience with his father has been, and that the last thing he's ever wanted to do was celebrate a day that celebrates a figure that hurt him so much. My dad himself lost his father at a young age, he has experienced the hurt of Father's days past that were hurtful to celebrate what he didn't have.
I really can't understand where that 'foot in the mouth' greeting came from, what possibly could have been running through his brain that would make him think that was remotely appropriate. Such a small thing, but with a large rippling effect, if only the empathy filter had kicked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment